Saturday, October 18, 2008

Personal memories contain marketing lesson


I received a letter this morning from Premier Travel Inn at Yeovil. It thanked me for leaving a feedback form and expressing their thanks for making positive comments about the Travel Inn and the Airfield Tavern pub next door.

The feedback I gave was very positive. The standards in both the hotel and the Airfield Tavern were superb and the staff in the pub and hotel were very hospitable. The food, from their extensive Table Table menu, was excellent both in terms of quality and price.

All this made the weekend very enjoyable. Yeovil holds such fond memories for me even though I haven’t been back there for years.

Working with some fantastic people - from the wonderful Dudley and Aileen Miller at The Foresters’ Arms in East Coker in my younger days through to that larger than life character, Adrian Hopper (now Marketing supremo at Yeovil Town Football Club and whose hospitality, when I popped in, was up to his usual standards) who rather foolishly encouraged me to be the editor of the business and the leisure & entertainment sections of his Clarion Newspaper.

It was in this beautiful country market town in rural Somerset that I first got the buzz from marketing and public relations, that buzz still giving my life a sparkle even today.
Yeovil has given me some amazing memories. Let me reminisce for a few moments.

I was so lucky to work with the legendary Bruce Welch of The Shadows. Bruce had just come back from Cliff Richards’ birthday cruise with some wonderful tales of that trip and “the good old days” when he and Hank Marvin established the band. We put together a charity Shadows reunion show at the Westland’s Sports and Social Club, a magnificent live music venue, well worth visiting if you are down that way. The sponsors were Vale Motors of Wincanton, the local Subaru and Hyundai dealer. It was a magnificent show and Bruce was brilliant to work with.

Another of my memories was holding a motor show for, coincidentally, Vale Motors in the aforesaid Westland’s Sports and Social Club. It was a terrific event and Bryan, the Dealer Principal, pulled off real coup when he persuaded Hyundai to let us launch the new Hyundai Sonata at the event. It was well supported and the bottom line was that cars were sold as a result! I would mark it as an eight out of ten. It would have been a ten out of ten if two little mistakes had been avoided.

Firstly, the Mayor of Basingstoke - a wonderful man called Councillor John Cruddas, well loved by the townsfolk - unveiled the new Hyudai Sonata. Bryan’s guests included the government Trade & Industry Minister and a senior executive from Hyundai. It was unfortunate, therefore, that the Mayor announced that he was unveiling the new HONDA Sonata. An “oops moment“!
The second “oops moment” came when the fanfare sounded. Imagine the scene. The lights in the main hall were dimmed and the spotlight fell on the car on the stage which was shrouded in a cover. The whole room went hushed and then the big fanfare sounded - it was the Space Odyssey theme tune - one of those nerve tingling moments.

Sadly, the track was from a cheap CD I had picked up in Woolworths for a few pennies. It sounded fine on the car CD player. Imagine my horror when it went out at ten thousand watts through the house PA system as the most awful crackly and unmelodic offering ever heard. The strobe lights flashed all round the building as the wires lifted off the cover to unveil this magnificent car. But the sound was awful and, still reeling from the Mayor’s mis-branding, I was just wanted to go in a corner and fade away. Luckily, the client saw the funny side of it and no harm was done!

Of course, my introduction to the nightclub and leisure scene, which stood me in good stead for the rest of my career, was leaving The Clarion to join Chicago Rock Café Yeovil as its Marketing Manager. General Manager Lynn Bowler and Area Manager Abbie Bassir gave me the freedom to try all sorts of initiatives and develop new skills. They made marketing and PR fun - but they were results orientated and I have never forgotten the lesson that there has to be a “bottom line” outcome of all the activity we undertake.

But, boy, did we have some fun. We had some great parties at Chicago Rock. An Elvis Night with sixteen Elvis impersonators all on stage at the same time making me cry with laughter, terrible local bands in a “battle of the bands” contest emptying the building making me cry in despair, Yeovil Carnival childrens’ parties, YDRfm local radio parties - they are all fond memories.

Two events there stick out in my mind though. Firstly, was the world record attempt by DJ Danny D. playing the longest live DJ set in a nightclub using only vinyl records. The photo above shows Danny and I, covered in champagne, after he reached 120 hours non-stop playing. DJ Tony Temple of YDRfm and I stayed up all week with Danny (I couldn’t do that now!).

We gained some good media coverage and Alex of AFH Web Design broadcast the whole 120 hours live on the internet (apart from the inevitable little hiccups when service went down for short breaks) and attracted 11,000 listeners from across the globe. In those early days of the Internet that was a staggering number!

Secondly, YDRfm launched a promotion night at the club. The theme was “cops and robbers” and customers were invited to come in fancy dress for free admission. I was there with my camera waiting for the radio station presenters to arrive dressed as cops so I went outside at the agreed time only to find policemen and pretend drunken revellers struggling on the pavement. The police were outnumbered so they were handcuffing people to the railings outside the club. I was busy snapping away taking photographs, dashing between all the actors, thinking how realistic they all were and impressed that Tony T had laid on such an elaborate show for the onlookers.

Imagine my horror when Tony and his colleague Rob Denslow appeared around the corner wearing silly plastic imitation police helmets and carrying water pistols. They were dumbstruck at what was going on and I suddenly realised that this was no publicity stunt. It was the real thing! And at that moment, a riot van arrived and out piled a team of officers followed by a K-9 unit.

Drunken revellers from some event in the town were involved in a real-life fracas with the police. Another “oops moment”! I really wish we had then the technology we have today - wouldn’t it have been awesome to have video’d all that on my mobile phone and posted it on Next2Friends like I could do today!

There is a third of my two memories. I persuaded J2O to sponsor the launch of a Christmas anti-drink drive campaign at the club. I also persuaded the actor from The Vicar of Dibley of (“No, no, no, yes” fame) to endorse it. The PR and marketing success came when the regional bus company kindly agreed to take the poster and put it in every bus! The impact was huge! TV coverage was wonderful because they managed to get the Mayor of Yeovil to be filmed being breathalysed outside the club by traffic cops! What a wonderful image that was!

Well, the real point of this article was to congratulate Premier Travel Inn on taking the trouble to write to me. It was a good marketing ploy as I was delighted to receive it. If they were my client, which sadly Whitbread plc are not, I would have recommended enclosing a voucher for a discount on my next visit. I would have certainly used it!

I guess that had my response to the feedback form been negative then I would have received a different (apologetic?) letter. Either way, the lesson for marketers and PR people is, firstly get that all important data, and, secondly, never to waste a good opportunity to communicate a positive message to existing customers.